Roof Troubles: To Repair or To Replace?
There is never a right moment for roofing troubles to arise. You cannot predict when your roof is going to get damaged or how. It is a good idea to take a regular look at your roof to prevent any problems. Sometimes it can be very hard to detect a problem, which is why a thorough inspection by a professional roofing contractor is a good idea to get to the bottom of anything questionable.
Repair or replace? Both options can end up being quite costly but as far as the longevity of the roof is concerned, doing one or the other is worth every cent. So how do you determine the best option for your roof and your situation?
Exterior signs that there is something wrong with your roof:
- - Storm gutters often end up clogged
- - Broken tiles or shingles on your roof
- - Your shingles lack granules
- - The attic insulation is wet
- - Flashing is damaged or missing
Problems with roofing generally occur on the exterior first, so it is important to be able to recognize any changes in the structure itself. Unless you fix the problems you find fairly soon, the damage will spread to the inside, making repairs much more difficult and expensive.
Interior signs that there is something wrong with your roof:
- - Wallboards have started to discolor
- - Paint has started peeling or cracking
- - Wallpaper is peeling
- - Mildew or mold has formed on the walls and ceiling
- - Your ceiling has some very suspicious brown spots
If you miss the exterior signs, try to make sure you act quickly when you discover any of the interior signals. The sooner you find a solution, the better.
When to Repair:
- - If your roof is new (less than 15 years old)
- - If the warranty period of the roofing materials has not yet expired
- - If a leak does not reappear once you have it repaired
- - If there is only a small leak that needs repair
When to Replace:
- - If the warranty period of the roofing material has expired
- - If the roof is too old (over 15 years old)
- - If the roof has been repaired a number of times previously
- - If there are leaks found in numerous locations of the structure
- - If leaks keep on reappearing after they are repaired
Sometimes there may not be any visible signs that the roof structure has been damaged and needs repair or replacement. Hire a certified, licensed roofing professional to inspect the roof. A trusted expert will be able to detect any problems you may be facing and provide the best solution for your situation.